Raymond A Cassar
Raymond Cassar is no stranger to tough legal battles. One colleague noting, "If I was in trouble, Ray Cassar is the attorney I'd want fighting for me." Another says, "He is an excellent criminal defense attorney, with a compassion for people in trouble, that is unsurpassed."
Having devoted his entire practice exclusively to criminal defense, he has handled every type of criminal matter conceivable. Continually on top of the latest legal developments and defenses, Ray Cassar's expertise is sought after by many large civil law firms, who refer their criminal cases to him. Knowing that no two cases are exactly alike, he has dedicated his professional career to diligently providing each individual client with the most vigorous legal defense possible. Whether it is new Internet crimes, or new evidence gathering techniques, his office is on the leading edge.
Raymond Cassar is a 1981 graduate of the University of Michigan. His reputation as an unrelenting advocate, for the rights of his clients, has earned the respect of Judges and prosecutors all over Michigan, in both the State and Federal Courts, as well as in California and Texas. He's also been admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court.
Hundreds of college students have also benefited from Mr. Cassar's distinctive legal knowledge, as he has taught as an adjunct faculty member for the past 16 years. As a guest speaker, he has lectured on various criminal law issues, including lecturing to the Michigan State Police on the topic of expert witnesses.
Over the years, Ray Cassar has successfully handled several highly publicized cases. He has developed an excellent rapport with the media, and thus, has established a mutual trust. This relationship has proven to greatly benefit his clients.
WJR Radio considers Raymond Cassar one of their "legal experts." They have looked to him numerous times to comment on the many cases they cover that are in the public's eye and interest. Mr. Cassar has appeared on Channel 4's "Due Process", discussing Internet crimes and sex offenses. He has also discussed the new drunk driving laws as an invited guest on "Lawyer's Round Table".
Raymond Cassar has appeared on and or has been interviewed by all of the following news organizations and publications:
- WJR Radio
- WWJ Radio
- Channel 7 Action News
- Channel 4
- Channel 50 UPN News
- Fox 2 Eyewitness News
- "Bonds Tonight" with Bill Bonds
- "A Current Affair"
- ABC's "Turning Point"
- "People" Magazine
- "Detroit News and Free Press"
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Defense
- Domestic Violence
- Driving While Intoxicated
- Drug Crimes
- Federal Crimes
- White Collar Crime
- 90% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Michigan, 1984
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, Detroit, Michigan
- J.D. - 1984
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- B.A. - 1981
- Major: Political Science
- Trends in DUI Discovery , Aspatore, Inside The Minds
- Sexting and Computer Crimes , Institute of Continuing Legal Education, November 2012 ICLE Webinar, 2012
- Effectively Running Your Criminal Defense Practice , The Institute of Continuing Legal Education, April 2012 Webinar Written materials, 2012
- Defending Felony Assault Cases , The Institute of Continuing Legal Education, January 2011 Webinar Materials, 2011
- Business Law, Oakland Community College; Adjunct Professor since 1985
- Expert Witness School
- Michigan State Police
- Frequent lecturer on Criminal Law topics
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Member
- Oakland County Bar Association - Chairman, Lawyer Referral Committee
- American Bar Association - Criminal Law Division
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Michigan Bar Association - Criminal Law Section
- Michigan Trial Lawyers Association
- Federal Bar Association Criminal Section
- Criminal Defense Attorneys of Michigan